Thursday 3 June 2010

Catching Worms?

Why do car boot sales start so early in the morning? At 7am, for pete's sake! I'm not a morning person. More one of 'the children of the night', to be honest. So it was a huge effort to get up on Sunday morning to get to a car boot sale even by 8am. But the lure of a field full of kitsch tat managed to get me out of bed. And despite having told myself I mustn't fill the house with more rubbish, I managed to buy rather a lot. 

The miniatures in the first picture still have their contents. Anyone for a 40 year-old Chianti?
'Specially for little girls'... and big ones too! If you're as old as me, you might remember Twinkle comic. I remember it first coming out and having a free gift of a charm bracelet. So I had to get these old annuals. Not sure if I have any excuse for the china....
Ahoy me hearties! Some nautical needlepoint, and and a flower loom for 'casting off my craft' (do you see what I did there?).
Toro! How could anyone not want a plastic Spanish bull's head on their wall? I think it looks rather fine with our Day of the Dead collection and matador tambourine. 
Well, I think it was all worth getting up for!

8 comments:

The Vintage Knitter said...

I still have my Twinkle 1975 annual and I used to get the comic every week courtesy of a lovely old neighbour. Memories!

Getting up early is the only pain about car boots, however I did go to a late starter at the weekend and picked up a great stash, which I've blogged about too - great minds think alike!

Christine said...

Well, you've managed to stir up yet more memories of my dim and distant past ! This time it's the miniature bottle of alcohol.

I used to collect them - a collection that began after seeing my uncle's collection of weird and wonderful miniature bottles.

We used to have them on display in the lounge ( over the bar...how common ! ) but when the bar went....so did the bottles. However, unlike the bar - which was dismantled and thrown out - the miniatures were packed away and now reside in our roof ! At a guess I would say I have upwards of sixty, maybe seventy, maybe even more....many of which are no longer available as a full size bottle. Would that make the miniature valuable ? Probably only to another collector. Do you know any ?

Christine said...

Elaine - my comment wasn't a request for your bottles......

:)

TK said...

I remember that flower-making kit although I didn't have one. We used to make endless bobbles/pompoms - I have no idea what we used them all for. There was also a thing involving a cotton reel with four tiny nails in one end that made a kind of wooly worm. What was that called and what the hell was the point of it?

Kitsch and Curious said...

Tessa - There's one of those cotton reels in there too, still with a "wooly worm" attached. It's called French knitting I think. I guess you could make a sort of braid trim with it, or boob tubes for very small dolls!

Christine - Was your collection still out when we visited? It sort of rings a bell. I'm afraid you're the only collector I know of, so I can't advise on values, however, I can tell you that I paid 10p each for mine! I was initially just drawn to the really small one, as it was so tiny and cute, like a doll's house miniature. Than i thought the chianti one was very kitsch, and when I discovered they were 10p each, I bought a few more, with unusual bottles.

Space Cadet said...

I remember sending Aunty Christine some miniatures after seeing her collection on a family visit many moons ago. As for the early start, I was shocked to discover that there was a 7 o'clock in the morning and on a Sunday too. Who knew? I used to think that getting up at that time was only worthwhile if there was a flight to catch but I have to say I was pleased with the wonderful things we acquired.

Young at Heart said...

French knitting!! I remember making those long, twisty braids but to what end? I've never actually seen it in France....

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

I like how you display your goodies, the bull definitely makes that wall!